“Frankincense is yet another Biblical oil that brings you close to heaven by appeasing your mind, relieving your pain, strengthening your positive emotions and implanting enormous beauty benefits.”
Botanical name: Boswellia serrata
Frankincense essential oil used for aromatherapy is commonly known as olibanum, which is produced by a process known as steam distillation of the resin from the tough Boswellia trees. To obtain the resin, one needs to cut the trunk of the tree and allow the pouring resin to solidify. This solid resin is collected and steam distilled to obtain the valuable essential oil. Frankincense essential oil that is used for aromatherapy is very unstable and its hue varies from faded yellow to greenish yellow. The aroma of this essential oil is usually said to be fresh, balmy, timbered, somewhat zesty and fruit-line and pungent in nature.
Apart from aromatherapy, frankincense essential oil is also used in the production of perfumes and has been regarded highly for the sugary smelling fumes produced by it when burnt. Owing to this aspect, the oil has made its use extensive in meditation and religious ceremonies. The use of the oil not only facilitates one to focus inwardly, but also inhibits the nervous system. Precisely speaking, the aroma of frankincense essential oil helps to endorse tranquility and inner peace.
Frankincense essential oil is used to treat several conditions. In addition, this oil may be used in different ways – as an inhalant, massage oil, taken internally as well as added to soaps, perfumes, bath oils and incense. Here we are mentioning the use of frankincense essential oil for a number of specific conditions.
- If you have been bitten by any bug, apply one or two drops of frankincense essential oil on the affected area. It will not only help to reduce the swelling, but also provide relief from itching.
- You may inhale this essential oil, apply it topically on the body or even diffuse to intensify breathing and bring about tranquility and peace.
- When you apply a few drops of this essential oil on trivial cuts, bruises and/ or scratches, it helps in lessening the redness of the skin and provides relief from uneasiness.
- You may also put a few drops of the oil on the skin to diminish or alleviate scarring and stretch marks.
- Diffuse frankincense essential oil when you are praying or meditating as this would enable you to concentrate and focus inwardly.
- You may apply a few drops of frankincense essential oil to your face and the area around the neck with a view to repair the skin damage caused by exposure to sunlight. In addition, this will help to rejuvenate your skin and make it appear younger.
- In order to remove gum, glue or any tough adhesive from the skin or the surface of any household item, rub a few drops of this essential oil to it and see how it clears the unwanted substances.
- Rubbing a few drops of this essential oil on the temples or the area behind the neck will help you to get relief from strain and stress.
- You may also massage this essential oil mildly on the feet and the area behind the neck to provide comfort to overactive children.
Blends well with
aches and pains
wounds and sores
colds and flu
shortness of breath
While it is true that frankincense essential oil possesses several therapeutic properties and is used to treat a number of medical conditions, one should always use it cautiously and with prudence. This oil is likely to result in skin sensitivity and, hence, it is advisable that one should water down this oil before any internal or external use. Especially, this oil needs to be diluted prior to applying it topically in sensitive areas like the face, neck. Pregnant women should always use this essential oil after consulting their doctor. This oil should not be used on infants and small children. It is important to keep this essential oil out of the reach of children to avoid any untoward incident.